In this life of win/lose mentality we should remember that it doesn’t always have to be a zero sum game. You can promote and live a win/win approach in your relationships. That holds true for business and in your personal relationships. People who live in the win/lose world our learning fast that they are dinosaurs. Here are just a few ideas on how to promote a win/win approach to relationships.
• Ask what it is that they want to achieve in the relationship. Whether a client or an acquaintance they have some objective – something they want. What would feel like a success to them?
• In a business relationship ask who do they serve and what’s important to their ideal customer?
• How do they envision your service helping them to reach or exceed their goals? You can help them while they are helping you.
• Where have they had great success in the past? Let them share ideas with you. Together you can help each other.
• Are they committed just to what’s worked in the past, or are they open to testing new ways of communicating and servicing their clients?
In asking these questions, you create a climate of open communication and position yourself as a valued resource that is truly interested in their success.
People — including your prospects and customers — want to know that you care. As the saying goes, “People don’t care how much you know, until they know how much you care.” Show them you have an interest greater than the money for the service you’re delivering. It’s about how you can positively impact their business, their customers and their lives. Our work in many ways becomes an extension of all the things we value. When we love it we pour ourselves into it.
“But (Jesus) said, ‘What is impossible with men is possible with God.'” Luke 18:27